Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Karva Chauth experiences :)



Manu Sharma's story:
My most memorable Karva Chauth was my first one. As per our traditions, the first Karva Chauth is to be celebrated at my maika (father's house).
I was getting ready to perform the rituals and was waiting for my husband to arrive. My mother and all the other ladies had gone up to the terrace to see the moon.
There was a loud shout from our neighbours that the moon had risen and at the same time our doorbell rang. To my surprise, my husband was standing in the doorway and my neighbouring aunt made an unforgettable comment -- she said, "Tere dono chaand ek saath nikle hain (Both your moons have risen together)".
Whenever I remember my first Karva Chauth, I always recollect what she said and savour it.
To my husband -- Thank you for being my life -- I want to die in the hands of my life.




Deepa D Bansal's story:
It was my first Karva Chauth, before marriage and after our engagement. He had gifted me a nice red sari -- I still have it and wear it occasionally. Everyone at home was excited, as it was the first time that a jamai raj (son-in-law) was coming for Karva Chauth -- I was the elder one in the family.
My mother had arranged a table of food on our private terrace, only for the two of us. I was very excited and did my fasting rituals without food and water. I had asked him to come early and he had replied in the affirmative, but he came one and a half hours later and everybody was worried, because I didn't want to eat without him being there. When he came late, he somehow placated me and we did puja watching that beautiful moon and then had food.
I still enjoy watching the moon with him. I love him a lot -- it will be two years of marriage this December. There have been a lot of misunderstandings, fights and tough moments between us, but still there is hope in my heart that when our child is born this April, he will start loving me unconditionally, although he never has. Maybe this time, however, I will gain his confidence and have my husband love me more than anyone on earth. I truly love him.

Nupur Yeshwanth Raj of Bangalore:

My most memorable Karva Chauth by far was the first, after my engagement. It was extremely intimidating, since I was fasting for the first time, for the Love of My Life.

My day started early in the morning, before sunrise when I woke up to have my sargi (a festive meal). I ate it, drank lots of water and went back to sleep. I was very conscious that I should not eat anything or drink water that day. It was not easy for me, since I had this habit of sipping water every hour and sometimes more frequent also. But my love for my would-be hubby Yeshwanth kept me going.

After 2 pm, my mom and I, along with a few other married women heard the Karva Chauth Katha and then waited desperately for the chaand (moon) in the evening. Yeshwanth came over and secretly asked if I could go on a drive with him. I took my mom's permission and we went for the drive -- that's when he presented me with my first romantic gift ever -- a heart-shaped diamond pendant. It was very romantic and emotional for me at the same time.

Then we came back home and performed the puja -- my hubby, who is born and brought up in the South, found it very sweet. He enjoyed the puja and I enjoyed lots of attention from my family ad friends. The only thing I missed was the participation of my in-laws, since they don't know what the festival is all about and its importance. But maybe these differences are a few of the perks that come from intercast marriages

On this Karva Chauth, I want to tell my hubby Yeshwanth that I love him more than my life and pray to God that I leave this world in his arms.

I am proud to be Mrs Nupur Yeshwanth Raj...thanks for being mine.

"Chehre pe haseen chha jati hai
Aankhon main suroor aaa jata hai
Jab tum mujhe apna kahte ho
Apne pe guroor aa jata hai"


Love you, Dallu...

No comments:

Post a Comment